As The Union Who Puts Food On America’s Tables, UFCW Knows That A Safe And Abundant Food Supply Is Good For Our Workers And Good For The Nation.
A Worker Friendly Farm Bill
Workers are integral to every section of the Farm Bill — from the farmworkers who pick fruit and vegetables, to processing workers in poultry and meat slaughter plants, to food safety inspectors, to the state government workers who administer SNAP and the grocery store workers who sell us food and process SNAP benefits. With $956 billion in investments, the Farm Bill affects all parts of our food system impacting more than 740,000 jobs and 41 million SNAP recipients every day.
If we learned anything from the pandemic, it’s that the resiliency of our food supply chain is directly related to the health of its workers. We need to invest in workers to keep America fed.
The Farm Bill is a vital piece of legislation with the ability to create good jobs for hundreds of thousands of American families. UFCW supports a worker friendly Farm Bill that puts what’s best for workers at the center.
A worker friendly Farm Bill should include:
- Fair labor standards in food procurement.
- Full funding for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and improvements that ensure that online and delivery services support good jobs.
- Funding for the Farm and Food Workers Relief Grant Program.
- The Protecting America’s Meatpacking Workers Act
- And the American Beef Labeling Act which would reinstate the Mandatory Country of Origin Labeling (M-COOL) for beef; curtailing predatory monopoly and monopsony power; protecting SNAP Choice and increasing SNAP benefits to meet the food needs of vulnerable families; Buy American in the National School Lunch Program, School Breakfast Program, and all meat purchasing; farmworker rights and reform of the seasonal guestworker program.